FEBRUARY 22, 2016
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Woodruff called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m. City Recorder Eckerman administered the oath of office to Ruth Stole, who then took her seat at the table. Commissioners Peterson, Stole, Andrew, Woodruff, Quayle, Barham and Yorks answered the roll call. A quorum was present.
2. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from December 14, 2015. Commissioner Andrew moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Peterson seconded, and the motion carried unanimously.
3. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Leland Stuart addressed the Commission regarding his concerns about the recent approval of the Crestview Hills Planned Development, including aesthetics, drainage, emergency access and fire safety. He felt that the Commission acted on incorrect information provided by both the developer and staff and urged them to reconsider their earlier approval.
Roger Grady asked if it would be possible to get on the agenda to speak about Nelson Wayside Drive and the maintenance thereof. He felt that there is a City responsibility that hasn't been upheld in the past, given the value of the water facilities. Chair Woodruff asked if the street was in the City, Mr. Grady indicated that it was in the county. City Manager Kemp noted that it does service the water facility at the top of the hill, it was his understanding that the City had helped purchase the gravel, or helped put it down. He indicated that he would like to meet with Mr. Grady to further discuss the situation.
4. CORRESPONDENCE: The Commission acknowledged receipt of Mr. Stuart's letter.
5. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Former Public Works Property - Potential Zone Change: Mr. Lewis noted the property is currently zoned P-F, Public Facilities, which limited the allowed uses of the property. In the recent charrette process, some potential uses for the site were identified, such as a restaurant, brewery and kayak launch. Commissioner Yorks asked about surrounding zoning, such as M-W. Mr. Lewis explained that this would tie into the commercially zoned open space site. Commissioner Yorks asked about the idea of leaving it as recreational, tearing the building down and leaving it open and natural. His preference would be to maintain it as a park. Commissioner Barham noted that the hearing would be where the zoning would be decided, whether Commercial or Public Facilities. Mr. Lewis confirmed that this was the process. Commissioner Barham moved to have staff prepare the notification to DLCD and submit the notice of proposed amendment for the site. During that time staff can also prepare the hearing notice in front of the Planning Commission for public input. Commissioner Yorks seconded and the motion carried unanimously.
Commissioner Barham asked about the letter from Mr. Stuart. Chair Woodruff noted that this was not an action item, but could be brought up under Commission Comments. Following a brief discussion, Commissioner Barham made a motion to discuss the letter. Commissioner Stole seconded, and the motion carried, with Commissioner Stole, Andrew, Quayle, Barham and Yorks voting "Aye". Discussion ensued regarding the land use application process, including the 120 day time limit from the receipt of application to the final approval. The streets, which were one of the main concerns expressed by Mr. Stuart, were already in place and previously accepted by the City. It was also noted that this was a preliminary plat, and as the various phases are developed, they will be reviewed by the Fire District and the City prior to being referred to the Planning Commission if required.
6. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Peterson expressed concerns regarding code enforcement, noting that it appeared to be subjective rather than comprehensive. Chair Woodruff reminded the Commission that it had been previously determined that code enforcement was not in the purview of the Planning Commission's role.
7. ADJOURNMENT: AT 2:50 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda Q. Eckerman, City Recorder APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 4th day of March, 2016.
SIGNED by the Chair this 4th day of March, 2016.
Ray Woodruff, Chair