MARCH 23, 2015
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Woodruff called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m. Chair Woodruff and Commissioners Peterson, Andrew, Hafner, Gordon and Yorks answered the roll. Commissioner Egan was excused. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Peterson asked if the meeting time had been changed. He asserted that Mr. Lewis had given him an incorrect time. It was pointed out that the sign workshop in February had been held at 6:00 p.m. for the convenience of the business owners, but the time of the regular Commission meetings has remained unchanged.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the February 23, 2014 meeting. Commissioner Hafner moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Andrew seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: Proposed Amendments to Development Code Section 16.76 "Signs": Chair Woodruff opened the Public Hearing. City Planner Lewis summarized the proposed changes to the code language. Sabrina Thornton, owner of "Made By the Beach" stated that she was present just to find out what the rules were before she invested in signage. There were no other public comments.
Chair Woodruff closed the Public Hearing and opened the Planning Commission meeting for deliberations. Commissioner Gordon noted that the term "blade sign" was used in the definition of size in the draft ordinance, but "blade sign" did not have a definition. Following discussion of that issue and the variance process, Commissioner Gordon moved to amend the definition of size to change the word "blade sign" to "projecting sign", and to amend the proposed language under variances to refer to the variance process as outlined in Chapter 16.92. Commissioner Peterson seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote. Commissioner Gordon then moved to alter the wording in the first sentence of 16.76.030 (A) "Permits Required" to state "Except as herein provided, no sign shall be erected, replaced, altered or relocated without the business owner first obtaining a sign permit and the property owner (if different) granting permission for a sign permit...." Commissioner Peterson seconded, and the motion carried unanimously. After ascertaining that there were no further changes to be proposed, Commissioner Gordon moved to forward the proposed ordinance to the City Council with a recommendation to approve. Commissioner Hafner seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Planning Report: City Planner Lewis reviewed his written report, noting that there there had been a building permit for an ATM and night drop for Washington Federal, a building permit for a single-family dwelling, and a building permit for the new clinic on Range Drive.
B. Other Issues: None.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 2:29 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda Q. Eckerman, City Recorder
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 22nd day of June, 2015.
SIGNED by the Chair this 22nd day of June, 2015.
Ray Woodruff, Chair