NOVEMBER 24, 2014
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Woodruff called the meeting to order at 2:05 p.m. Chair Woodruff and Commissioners Andrew, Egan, Gordon, Hafner and Yorks answered the roll. Commissioner Peterson was absent. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the October 13, 2014 meeting. Commissioner Gordon moved to approve the minutes as written. Commissioner Hafner seconded, and hte motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: A. The City Council's invitation for the Planning Commission to attend the December 11, 2014 holiday get-together was announced.
B. Handy Haven RV Park's withdrawal letter of their Conditional Use application was included in the Planning Commission's packet along with new RV Park policies and additional information.
6. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS: A. Work Session - Sign Ordinance Amendments: The Planning Commission reviewed the November 14, 2014 Draft Summary of Sign Ordinance Amendments (Summary). Initial discussion focused on ODOT's current prohibition of any signs within state highway right-of-way. City staff is planning to have a meeting with ODOT to discuss this issue as well as other items.
Secondly, the Planning Commission discussed moving or flashing signs. The proposed language limits businesses to one time/temperature sign and allows governmental agencies or public schools to have one moving/flashing sign. Following discussion, Commissioner Gordon moved to recommend approval of the moving or flashing signs as drafted. Commissioner Andrew seconded and, following additional discussion, the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
From the audience, Mayor Woodruff noted that while property rights are generally good, the Commission needs to be thinking about the overall appearance of the community and what's best for the community which may result in restrictions to allowed signage.
The Planning Commission had a lengthy discussion on A-Frame Signs, Banners, Building Signs, and Permanent Free-Standing Signs. Following discussion Commissioner Yorks moved to not allow Summary Sections A. A-Frame Signs, B. Banners, or A/B. A-Frame Signs or Banners; and to recommend approval of Sections C. Moving or Flashing Signs, D. Building Signs, and E. Permanent Free-Standing Signs with the following amendments: For Section D.3 Projecting/Hanging Signs the maximum display surface shall be 12 square feet with maximum dimensions of 2 feet high by 6 feet wide; in Section D.4 Window Signs allow one electronic/flashing "Open" sign with a meximum size no larger than the Open sign in the Oregon Shores Rental business and; add a provision that any exceptions to sign standards may be requested through the Conditional Use application process. Commissioner Gordon seconded and, following discussion, the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
City staff will prepare and send the draft amendment language along with the DLCD 35-day Notice of Amendment to DLCD. The Planning Commission will hold a work session on January 12, 2015 to discuss the draft sign ordinance amendments followed by a public hearing to be held on January 26, 2015.
B. Planning Report: Building permit and land use activity for September 25, 2014 through November 17, 2014 was reviewed.
7. ADJOURNMENT: At 3:38 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Gordon moved to adjourn. Commissioner Andrew seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Reda Q Eckerman, City Recorder
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 12th day of January, 2015.
SIGNED by the Chair this 12th day of January, 2015.
Ray Woodruff, Chair