MARCH 25, 2013
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Maré called the meeting to order at 2:05 p.m. Chair Maré and Commissioners Andrew, Hafner, Perry and Woodruff answered the roll. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Chair Maré gave an update on the Woodland Trail noting that there has been some vandalism including paint on one bench that the Public Works crew will remove. Also, one sign marker was stolen but has been replaced. The trail crew will be coming back for one or two days. Chair Maré expressed the need to publicize the Woodland Trail and noted that the City Manager will be contacting the local paper to publish information about the trail.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the February 25, 2013 meeting. Commissioner Woodruff moved to approve the minutes as written. Commissioner Hafner seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORREPONDENCE: None.
6. PUBLIC HEARING - Proposed Amendments to Waldport Development Code - Yaquina John Point Land Use & Transportation Plan Recommended Amendments: Chair Maré opened the public hearing.
Staff Report: City Planner Lewis summarized the Commission's February 25, 2013 work session where the Commission recommended the following changes to uses permitted outright, conditionally, or prohibited in the C-2 zone within the Waldport-Southwest Overlay Zone.
1) make all uses permitted outright in the C-1 zone to also be uses permitted outright in the C-2 zone (within the Waldport-Southwest Overlay Zone).
2) make all other C-2 uses as conditional uses (within the Waldport-Southwest Overlay Zone) with the following exceptions:
3) prohibit tire retreading or vulcanizing and truck terminal/freight depot from C-2 zoned properties (within the Waldport-Southwest Overlay Zone).
No public testimony was provided.
Chair Maré closed the public hearing and opened deliberations. Commissioner Andrew moved to recommend the Yaquina John Point amendments as proposed including the recommendations made at the February 25, 2013 work session. Commissioner Woodruff seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Amendments to Sign Regulations: The Commission reviewed the March 15, 2013 memorandum from the City Manager where the City Council agreed with the Planning Commission that amendments to the sign ordinance are needed. The Commission will begin reviewing and developing sign ordinance amendments. It was agreed that the entire sign ordinance and all types of signs need to be addressed. There are many standards to address including but not limited to A-Frame signs, public and private signs, maximum percentage of windows that may have signs, removal of abandoned signs, ODOT compliance, placement of portable signs, banners and pennants, event signs, etc. Once the sign ordinance is amended it needs to be distributed to business owners.
B. Planning Report: Building permit and land use activity for February 16, 2013 through March 15, 2013 was reviewed.
C. Other Issues: The Commission discussed the Alsea Bay erosion issue and potential amendments to help mitigate erosion. The Commission conducted a site visit at the end of Fayette Street to see the erosion and get a better understanding of the issues and properties.
9. ADJOURNMENT: At 3:15 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda Q. Eckerman, City Recorder
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 3rd day of May, 2013.
SIGNED by the Chair this 3rd day of May, 2013.
John Maré, Chair