JUNE 24, 2013
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Maré called the meeting to order at 2:10 p.m. Chair Maré and Commissioners Woodruff, Hafner and Andrew answered the roll. Commissioner Perry was excused. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Andrew noted the bakery sign and the PortaPotty at the south end of town were still there. Mr. Lewis will investigate further. Chair Maré noted that the restroom at the south end of town was difficult to identify and suggested additional signage. It was also noted that the firewood seller set up at the south end of town had signage which extended out into the right-of-way. Mr. Lewis will speak with him regarding this. Chair Maré indicated that the South Lincoln County Trails group has been asked to come up with a comprehensive map for the South County area. They have contracted with Geodesics and they should have a map by the end of the summer. Hard copies and digital copies will be available.
4. MINUTES: Chair Maré noted two scriveners errors to be corrected. Commissioner Woodruff moved to approve the minutes as corrected. Commissioner Hafner seconded, and the motion carried unanimously.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
6. PUBLIC HEARINGS: None.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Amendments to Sign Regulations: The Commission discussed the comparative spreadsheet included in the packet materials. Commissioner Hafner expressed concern regarding enforcement of regulations. It was suggested that a public workshop be held prior to a public hearing on the amendments, consensus of the Commission was favorable to the idea. Discussion then ensued regarding specific requirements, including allowable height of the signs, location, placement, and size. In regard to A-frame signs, the Commission felt that one sign per establishment could be allowed, with a maximum size of 8 square feet. It was also suggested that the high school shop might be able to create "blanks" for these signs, which would then provide a consistent appearance. Mr. Lewis will incorporate the discussed changes into a document for the next meeting.
B. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed the activity report from March 16 through June 21, noting that there had been three building permits issued during the report period. All three permits were for remodels/repairs to existing buildings.
C. Other Issues: None.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 3:38 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda Q. Eckerman, City Recorder
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 22nd day of July, 2013.
SIGNED by the Chair this 22nd day of July, 2013.
John Maré, Chair