AUGUST 22, 2011
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: The meeting was called to order at 2:00 p.m. City Recorder Eckerman administered the
oaths of office to Commissioners Power and Maré. In the absence of Chair Perry, Vice-Chair Power presided over the meeting. Commissioners Woodruff, Smolen, Andrew, Power and Maré answered the roll. Commissioners Perry and Russell were excused. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the July 25, 2011 meeting. Councilor Woodruff moved to approve the minutes. Commissioner Maré seconded. Commissioner Smolen moved to amend the minutes to reflect her request for the inclusion of the email in regard to the meeting with the Code Enforcement Officer. Commissioner Maré seconded and the motion to accept the minutes as amended carried on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: Four items were distributed by City Planner Lewis, including a Code enforcement report, a section of the Municipal Code dealing with deteriorated buildings and dangerous buildings (Sections 8.08.075 and 8.08.076), a City checklist for land division approvals, and a notice that the September meeting will be a work session on the Yaquina John Point Land Use and Transportation Study. A lengthy discussion ensued regarding the dangerous and dilapidated buildings code language, and code enforcement in general. The Commission members expressed frustration about the process for ensuring compliance and following up on complaints. It was suggested that involving citizens and voicing concerns at the Council meetings may assist in this matter.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: None.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his written report. He informed the Commission that the City had received the notice to proceed on the Woodland Corridor Trail. Public Works Director Alfano is in contact with the Lincoln County Community Corrections crew who will be working on the project in October.
B. Potential Development Code Amendments: The Commission reviewed the revisions to the townhouse conditional use ordinance. Discussion ensued regarding whether to require sidewalks in the conditional use process. Commissioner Smolen moved to include the requirement for sidewalks regardless of the zone. Commissioner Woodruff seconded. The motion carried, with Commissioners Smolen, Woodruff and Power voting "Aye", Commissioners Maré and Andrew voting "Nay". It was pointed out that since it is a conditional use, requests to exclude sidewalks could be considered depending on the development of surrounding properties.
Mr. Lewis noted that there were now five amendments to the Municipal Code which had been reviewed by the Commission. Discussion ensued regarding the subsequent steps which need to take place. Staff will look into scheduling the public hearings. It was suggested that the Planning Commission and City Council have a workshop on the proposed amendments after the public hearing by the Planning Commission and before the public hearing by the City Council. Due to notice requirements and upcoming holidays, the public hearings may not take place until after the first of the year.
In regard to multifamily residential densities, Mr. Lewis noted that after review it appeared that there was no need for revisions.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 3:05 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda Q. Eckerman, City Recorder
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 31st day of October, 2011.
SIGNED by the Chair this 31st day of October, 2011.
Dave Perry, Chair