AUGUST 25, 2009
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL:
Chair Perry called the meeting to order at 2:00 p.m.
Chair Perry and Commissioners Holland, Maré, Power, Smolen, and Woodruff,
answered the roll. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: No citizens were present.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: It was noted that Commissioner Johnston is resigning from the Planning Commission due to a conflict with his upcoming school bus driving.
Commissioner Smolen asked about the latest plans for the Old Middle School building. Commissioner Woodruff stated he had a discussion with the current property owner and future plans are to tear down the existing building and hopefully reuse some of the big timber/beams. The City conducted a feasibility study a few years ago and determined that it would be too expensive to renovate the existing building.
The Commission asked about the recent construction activity at the vacant ‘old motel’ lot in the downtown area. No one knew the purpose of the activity but city staff later found out it had to do with sanitary sewer line work connecting to the adjacent clinic building.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the June 23, 2009 Meeting. Commissioner Hollandmoved to approve the minutes as written. Commissioner Woodruff seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: The Commission discussed the City Council authorization for the Commission to proceed with drafting regulations pertaining to tower facilities and energy conversions systems. Tower facility regulations will be developed separately from energy conversion systems regulations. Lincoln City, Astoria and Brookings have established or are in the process of developing regulations for energy conversion systems. The draft regulation will be developed once the public hearings for the Comprehensive Plan and Flood Hazard Overlay Zone are concluded.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: Case File #1-ZC-PC-09 – Application for Zone Change and Comprehensive Plan Map Amendment was postponed to the September 22, 2009 meeting date due to additional DLCD notification requirements.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his written report.
B. Comprehensive Plan Amendments: The Commission reviewed and made recommended revisions to the draft Comprehensive Plan Inventory, draft Transportation System Plan, and draft Flood Hazard Overlay Zone updates. City staff will update the drafts based on the Planning Commission and City Manager’s recommended revisions. The Planning Commission public hearings for the above identified updates and the Comprehensive Plan Goals & Policies update will begin at the September 22, 2009 meeting. It was recommended that the draft updates be posted on the City’s website.
C. Other Issues: No other issues were discussed.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 4:05 p.m.,there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda A. Quinlan,City Recorder
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 22nd day of September, 2009.
SIGNED by the Chair this 22nd day of September, 2009.
Dave Perry, Chair