DECEMBER 16, 2008
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Perry called the
meeting to order at 2:00 p.m. in the Fire Hall Meeting Room, 145 Alsea Hwy.
Chair Perry and Commissioners Power, Woodruff, Maré, Johnston, Smolen, and
Holland answered the roll. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Herman Welch and Lou Piette addressed the Commission regarding their interest in the proposed changes to the Comprehensive Plan.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Chair Perry initiated discussion regarding ODOT’s Lint Slough bridge project. The Commission has concerns about the latest ODOT plans which do not include improved pedestrian facilities. There is an existing and future need to have adequate pedestrian and bicycle facilities crossing Lint Slough. The Commission strongly urges ODOT to reconsider and incorporate improved pedestrian and bicycle facilities in the bridge improvement plans.
Commissioner Woodruff said he understands the City Council has been discussing the possibility that Willow Street may be changed from a one-way street to a two-way street between Highway 101 and Maple Street. Commissioners expressed concerns that the Highway 101/Willow Street intersection is not safe now and converting Willow to a two-way street would make the intersection even more unsafe.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the November 18, 2008 meeting. Commissioner Johnston moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Woodruff seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: None.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his written report.
B. Comprehensive Plan Amendments: The Commission concluded discussion on the draft Energy Conservation and Public Facilities & Services sections. The Citizen Involvement; Land Use Planning Urbanization and Intergovernmental Coordination; Agricultural Lands, and Forest Lands sections were discussed and proposed changes to the drafts were made. Mr. Lewis will redraft these four sections based on Commission comments for further discussion at the January 27, 2009 meeting.
The consensus of the Commission was to review the redrafted Citizen Involvement; Land Use Planning, Urbanization and Intergovernmental Coordination; Agricultural Lands, and Forest Lands sections, and begin review of the following sections of the Comprehensive Plan Goals & Policies at the January 27, 2009 meeting:
Goal V. Open Space, Natural, Scenic & Historical Resources;
Goal VI. Air, Water & Land Resources Quality;
Goal VII. Natural Hazards.
C. Other Issues: Mr. Lewis reminded the Commission that their next meeting will be January 27, 2009, 2:00 p.m. The Commission decided to continue to hold the Comprehensive Plan workshops in the Fire Hall meeting room.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 3:48 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Recorder
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 27th day of January, 2009.
SIGNED by the Chair this 27th day of January, 2009.
Dave Perry, Chair