APRIL 22, 2008
1. Call to Order and Roll Call: Chair Perry called the
meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Commissioners Perry, Milligan, Smolen, Johnston,
Power, Mare and Holland answered the roll. A quorum was
2. Citizen Comments and Concerns: Buzz Shulte addressed the Planning Commission regarding his proposed Whispering Woods Subdivision. He explained why the current tentative subdivision will expire, citing timing for finalizing a property line adjustment and pursuing an easement for a street connection to Norwood Drive. Mr. Shulte stated that a new subdivision application has been submitted to the City, the plan is identical to the previously approved plan, and the application will be before the Planning Commission at the May 27, 2008 meeting.
3. Commission Comments and Concerns: Commissioner Maré expressed concern about abandoned and inoperable vehicles, specifically citing one near the Post Office, and asked what the City’s procedure is for dealing with this issue and if the Planning Commission had a role. City Planner Lewis stated that if abandoned/inoperable vehicles are located in the public right-of-way, the Sheriff’s Department often deals with the issue. On private property, Mr. Lewis is the primary person that sends letters and follows up with the property owners. There was Commission discussion about how the process is initiated. Currently, City action is primarily based on written complaints. Comments were made that it would be good if the City initiated action as opposed to written complaints since some people are reluctant to submit written complaints.
Commissioner Milligan asked about the status of the dilapidated Mercantile Building. Commissioner Smolen stated she understands the City Council will take action 30 days after the Hwy. 101 sidewalk project is completed.
Commissioner Power asked about the expiration date of the Whispering Woods Subdivision tentative approval.
4. Minutes: The Commission considered the minutes from the March 11, 2008 meeting. A scrivener’s error was noted on page 2. The motion was made and seconded to approve the minutes of the March 11, 2008 meeting with the one correction and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. Correspondence: Correspondence included Commissioner Milligan’s resignation letter effective May 15, 2008.
6. Discussion/Action Items:
A. Consideration of Findings and Conclusion for Case File #1-PD-PC-08 Crestview Golf Club Planned Development: The Commission reviewed the conditions of approval. Details on sidewalk requirements were discussed. Commissioner Power asked about the street lighting requirement and the Commission agreed to specifically state the street lighting requirement in the Findings and Conclusion. Commissioner Milligan moved to approve the findings. Commissioner Power seconded. The motion carried unanimously.
B. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his written report.
C. Continued Review of Proposed Development Code Additions/Revisions: The Commission agreed to begin the Comprehensive Plan update process by having Mr. Lewis bring initial draft amendments of Comprehensive Plan sections for review at the regular Planning Commission meetings. The first review will be a discussion of the Comprehensive Plan format, a history of the City’s Comprehensive Plan and zoning, and identification of city planning documents.
D. Other Issues: Chair Perry talked about the Oregon Dept. of Land Conservation and Development (DLCD) planning grants for a Planning Commission training session. Mr. Lewis will contact Chair Perry and DLCD to discuss the grant application.
7. Adjournment: 8:00 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 27th day of May, 2008
SIGNED by the Chair this 27th day of May, 2008
Dave Perry, Chair