JUNE 12, 2007
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the
meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Chair Balen and Commissioners Perry, Milligan,
Power, and Maré answered the roll. Commissioner Meatzie arrived at 6:53 p.m.
Commissioner Streeter was absent. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Milligan asked about progress on the mercantile building. Staff noted the recent amendment to the code to help address the situation, though the status of the building was unknown at the present time. Commissioner Maré asked about non-conforming uses, and Mr. Lewis confirmed that non-conforming uses are permissible, but if the use is discontinued for a period of one year, the non-conforming status expires. Chair Balen asked that staff ascertain the current terms of the Commissioners, and noted that, according to the Code, a Commissioner with three consecutive absences without excuse is presumed to be in nonperformance of duty, and the position could be declared vacant by the City Council. He asked that a letter be drafted to Mr. Streeter to determine his intent with regard to his position. Chair Balen then asked the Commission to consider appointing a new chair, as he felt he had served long enough. Commission Milligan moved to nominate Commissioner Perry as Chair, effective as of the July 24, 2007 meeting. Commissioner Power seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote. Commissioner Milligan moved to appoint Commissioner Power as Vice-Chair. Commissioner Perry seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the April 24, 2007 meeting. Commissioner Maré moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Power seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
6. PUBLIC HEARING:
A. Case File 1-CU-PC-07: (Continued from the April 24, 2007 meeting): Mr. Lewis reviewed the additional information submitted, noting that the applicant had provided clarification of the use of the building, and had submitted a detailed building permit. Mr. Lewis indicated that, if the Planning Commission wished to approve the application, there were two conditions of approval suggested. Chair Balen asked if the clear vision standards needed to be added, and Commissioner Milligan noted that the submitted plans already showed compliance with that requirement. Commissioner Power asked if sewer was present to the property, Mr. Lewis indicated that the current sewer system ends at the school property. Mr. Olsen was present to address the Commission if they had any concerns. He stated his plan was eventually to use it as a general workshop as well as storage, as he was a remodeling contractor, but the main purpose would be storage of vehicles and equipment. Commissioner Maré asked what a change of use would entail, and Mr. Lewis responded that a change of use would be required to come back before the Planning Commission for approval.
There being no further testimony, Chair Balen closed the public hearing and opened the Planning Commission meeting for deliberations. Commissioner Milligan called for the question, and moved to approve the application with the conditions as contained in the staff report. Commissioner Meatzie seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote. Commissioner Power moved to authorize Chair Balen to sign the Findings, Order and Final Conclusion when it was drafted. Commissioner Milligan seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
B. Case File 1-ZC-PC-07: Postponed to the July 24th, 2007 meeting.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his report. He noted that the agenda for the July 24 meeting would be full, with the postponed zone application, the possibility of a hearing for Phase 1 of the "Naples" project, and the public hearing for the development code amendments. Mr. Lewis noted that the phasing had changed a bit on the "Naples" project, as the first submission was for 35 single-family residential homes off of Green Drive. They were anticipating another "phase" in a few months for additional residences, and then in a few more months they were hoping to submit for the commercial development. They have contracted with the Nicklaus golf course architect for the design of the golf course. Chair Balen asked about the weigh station and Mr. Lewis responded that he had heard that a site has been selected somewhere between here and Seal Rock, though he has not seen any paperwork yet. Commissioner Meatzie noted they were also negotiating with Southwest Lincoln Water District with regard to relocation of their water tank. Mr. Lewis provided a brief update on the LUBA appeal, noting that the developer’s attorney has submitted a response and the developer is hopeful that the appeal will be withdrawn.
B. Other Issues: Chair Balen noted that the checklists had been included in the packet and wondered if they were currently being used. Mr. Lewis responded affirmatively, indicating he has consistently used the first one and then drafted the second to be used solely for the Downtown District applications. A brief discussion ensued regarding the parking restrictions, and Mr. Lewis agreed that enforcement could be an issue, basically the City had to rely on the business owners to enforce the requirements.
The Commission as a whole expressed appreciation to Mr. Balen for his service as Commission Chair.
Commissioner Power asked about recommendations from the Commission that are included in CC&R’s, wondering what happens if the CC&R’s are amended or dispensed with. Mr. Lewis noted that the Planning Commission should make such recommendations a condition of approval, which is separate from CC&R’s and remains with the property.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 7:30 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 24th day of July, 2007.
SIGNED by the Chair this 24th day of July, 2007.
Jan Power, Vice-Chair