FEBRUARY 27, 2007
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the
meeting to order at 6:37 p.m. Commissioner Maré was sworn in by City Clerk
Quinlan. Chair Balen and Commissioners Perry, Maré, Milligan and Power answered
the roll. Commissioners Meatzie and Streeter were absent. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Elliot Estes addressed the Commission regarding the meeting of December 12, 2006. It was confirmed that there had not been a sign-up sheet at the public hearing, but that notices of the decision were sent to the surrounding property owners and those people who provided their name at the hearing. He stated that he felt he should have received notice of the City Council meeting on the Urban Growth Boundary adjustment. Chair Balen noted that as it was a City Council issue, it was outside the purview of the Planning Commission.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Chair Balen commented on the recent article in the Register Guard regarding the Naples project. Commissioner Power asked about protocol of response when contacted by reporters. Chair Balen stated that the Commissioners could certainly talk to reporters but that responses should be factual and not speculative.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the December 12, 2006 meeting. Commissioner Milligan moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Perry seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote. Chair Balen noted he felt the minutes were a succinct representation of the proceedings of the meeting.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: Chair Balen noted receipt of an ODDA (Oregon Downtown Development Association) conference in Astoria on May 10 & 11. Staff confirmed that if any Commissioners wished to attend, they could be reimbursed for expenses.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: None.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Potential Development Code Amendments: Chair Balen explained that the Commission had reviewed some of these amendments at their meeting in August, and provided a brief overview of the discussion for the benefit of the audience. City Planner Lewis noted that the proposed language addressed the riparian setback for oceanside properties with or without elevation. Discussion ensued regarding the proposed language and density calculations. Mr. Lewis confirmed that the Code contained a variance process for riparian properties. Commissioner Power stated she was comfortable with the proposed language, and consensus of the Commission was favorable. A brief discussion ensued regarding other changes to the Code and the Commission decided to concentrate on manufactured home standards and street standards, then send the proposed changes (including the riparian setbacks) to the City Council for approval.
B. Review of Developments in City: Mr. Lewis reviewed the status of the Highway 101 Improvements, the Bayfront Development on the corner of Highway 101 & Highway 34, Dream Harbor’s Alsea Village, the Naples Golf and Beach Resort, and the Land and Sea Development. The Commission engaged in lengthy discussion, but no action was required.
C. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed the planning report that had been included in the packet materials.
D. Other Issues: None.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 8:00 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 24th day of April, 2007.
SIGNED by the Chair this 24th day of April, 2007.
Samuel Balen, Chair