JANUARY 24, 2006
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the
meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Chair Balen and Commissioners Perry, Milligan,
Power, Cutter and Streeter answered the roll. Commissioner Meatzie arrived at
6:33 p.m. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Chair Balen reported on the meeting of the Economic Development Committee and ODOT which had been held earlier in the day. He indicated that it was anticipated that the project would go to bid in June, and hopefully commence before the winter rains begin. He showed the choices the Committee had made regarding street lights, benches, planters, etc. Discussion ensued regarding the dilapidated appearance of several downtown buildings and the sale of several properties. It is hoped that with the work being done in the downtown area, property owners will consider "sprucing up" their properties as well. Chair Balen noted the lack of control over the appearance of buildings, and wondered if it were possible for the City to implement some language to require property owners to maintain their properties.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the December 6, 2005 meeting. Chair Balen noted a scrivenerís error. Commission Milligan moved to approve the minutes as corrected, Commissioner Streeter seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: Chair Balen noted an invitation to the January 26th meeting from the Community Issues Forum.
6. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS:
A. Continued Review of Proposed Development Code Additions/Revisions: Chair Balen noted the additional amendments to the code which will add the new section. A correction was made to the draft to change all references from Highway 30 to Highway 34. No other changes were noted. Discussion ensued regarding the impact the revisions may have on recently sold property such as the old Middle School, the process for forwarding the Planning Commissionís recommendations to the City Council, and the merits of holding a workshop with the Council to explain the changes. Commissioner Streeter moved to direct staff to research the process for adoption of the changes. Commissioner Milligan seconded, and the motion carried unanimously.
B. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his written report.
C. Other Issues: Commissioner Cutter notified the Commission that he would be unable to attend the April and May meetings.
7. ADJOURNMENT: At 7:47 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Cutter moved to adjourn. Commissioner Meatzie seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 28th day of February, 2006.
SIGNED by the Chair this 28th day of February, 2006.
Samuel Balen, Chair