OCTOBER 11, 2005
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the
meeting to order at 12:30 p.m. Vice Chair Perry and Commissioners Meatzie, and
Streeter answered the roll. Commissioners Milligan, Power and Cutter were
absent. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None
4. WORKSHOP SESSION ON PROPOSED REVISIONS TO DEVELOPMENT CODE: The Commission members engaged in a lengthy discussion of the proposed revisions to the Development Code, particularly the draft Chapter 16.34, Downtown District Zone.
5. ADJOURNMENT: At 5:00 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, the meeting was adjourned.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 25th day of October, 2005.
SIGNED by the Chair this 25th day of October, 2005.
Samuel Balen, Chair
OCTOBER 25, 2005
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Vice-Chair
Perry called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m. Vice-Chair Perry and
Commissioners Cutter, Streeter, Milligan, Power, and Meatzie answered the roll.
Chair Balen was absent. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Vice Chair Perry opted to take the comments for the proposed tree ordinance under this topic, combining correspondence and verbal comments. He noted a letter and sample ordinance provided in the packet materials. Barbara Davis, Robert Anderson, Lynette Sproul and Gregory Williamson addressed the issue of controlling the removal of vegetation in conjunction with new development. A lengthy discussion ensued. Consensus was to forward the issue to the City Council for their consideration.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Milligan noted she was disappointed in the lack of cleanup effort on the part of ODOT following the recent chip truck mishap, when chips were spread along Highway 101 through town. Commissioner Power expressed concern regarding the need to repaint the crosswalks in the downtown area. The concern will be forwarded to Public Works.
4. MINUTES: Commissioner Perry noted a correction to the minutes of September 27, as he was not present at that meeting. Commissioner Power noted a correction to her motion on Page 2, to read as follows: "Commissioner Power moved to continue the discussion...." Commissioner Meatzie moved to approve the minutes from September 27, 2005 with the proposed amendments. Commissioner Cutter seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote. Commissioner Meatzie then moved to approve the minutes of October 11, 2005 as presented. Commissioner Streeter seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: Included in the Citizen Comments above.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: (Continuation of deliberations on 1-V-PC-05): Commissioner Perry noted that apparently the issue was continued in order to obtain additional information as to the location of the building and whether or not it could be moved, and indicated that an amended site plan had been included in the packet materials. City Planner Lewis reported that he did visit the site and took a close look at the existing building and topography. The land does slope down before you get down to the back of the existing building, and it then drops off dramatically. He verified the utility easement and location of septic tank as well. Commissioner Cutter reiterated his comment that he felt the applicant was asking for more than the minimum variance to alleviate the hardship, as he thought the building could be set back another five feet without creating a significantly greater hardship for the applicant. Mr. Chin responded that the proposed plot plan already includes an additional setback of five feet from the previous request. Discussion ensued regarding the topography of the area, and potential widening of the road. It was noted that the road in front of the applicant was fairly adequate, and the lower portion of Waldport Heights Road was the problem area. Commissioner Milligan moved to approve the variance, with the conditions stated in the staff report, and using the amended plot plan. Commissioner Streeter seconded, and the motion carried, with Commissioners Meatzie, Milligan, Power and Streeter voting "Aye", Commissioner Cutter voting "Nay", and Commissioner Perry abstaining due to not being part of the full discussion. Commissioner Power moved to authorize the Planning Commission Chair to sign the findings once they have been drafted. Commissioner Milligan seconded, and the motion carried unanimously.
7. DISCUSSION/ACTION ITEMS
A. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his written report.
B. Other Issues: Commissioner Perry noted the October 11 discussion regarding the Code amendments, and wondered what the next step would be. Consensus was to schedule the revised draft for discussion by the full Commission for review and approval.
Discussion ensued regarding the date for the next Commission meeting, and consensus was to hold the next meeting on December 6 at 6:30 p.m.
City Clerk Quinlan administered the oath of office to Commission Milligan, as she had been absent from the February 2005 meeting and the issue had been subsequently overlooked.
8. ADJOURNMENT: At 7:45 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Cutter moved to adjourn. Commissioner Power seconded, and the motion carried unanimously.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 6th day of December, 2005.
SIGNED by the Chair this 6th day of December, 2005.
Samuel Balen, Chair