JULY 27, 2004
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the meeting to order at 6:30
p.m. Chair Balen and Commissioners Perry, Meatzie, Milligan, Cutter and Cvar
answered the roll. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Meatzie announced that he has been selected as Chair of the Southwest Lincoln County Water District.
Chair Balen noted that the Planning Commission currently does not have a Vice Chair and recommended the Commission appoint a Vice Chair. There was consensus from the Commission to appoint a Vice Chair. Commissioners Milligan and Perry were nominated. Commissioner Milligan respectfully declined and there was Commission consensus to appoint Commissioner Perry as Vice Chair. Commissioner Perry accepted the Vice Chair position.
4. CONSIDERATION OF MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the April 27 meeting. Commissioner Cvar recommended a revision to the minutes, page 3, paragraph 1, 2nd sentence. Commissioner Cutter moved to approve the April 27, 2004 minutes as presented with one revision - page 3, paragraph 1, 2nd sentence to read "The majority of the Commission also felt that the ........." Commissioner Perry seconded, and the motion carried on a voice vote.
The Commission considered the minutes from the May 25, 2004 meeting. Commissioner Cutter moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Cvar seconded, and the motion carried on a voice vote.
The Commission considered the minutes from the June 22, 2004 meeting. Commissioner Cutter moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Cvar seconded, and the motion carried on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: Commissioner Balen noted a letter he received from Lane Shetterly, Director of the Oregon Department of Land Conservation and Development, thanking Commissioner Balen for meeting with him on June 16, 2004.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: The Public Hearing for Care File #1-C-PC-04 was opened by Chair Balen. Chair Balen called for abstentions, ex parte contact, and conflicts of interest. Commissioner Cvar indicated that he had spoken with two members of the Ocean Hills Homeowner's Association regarding their concerns about lighting and showing them a site plan. He did not feel that the conversation had affected his judgment in this case.
Commissioner Milligan requested that the material for the sanitary sewer pump station building should be aesthetically pleasing. John McClintock, Waldport Public Works Director, provided information regarding the location and size of the proposed sanitary sewer pump station. Chair Balen expressed concern that the Commission did not know what the building will look like and it would be helpful to have engineering drawings, i.e. topographic plot plan and building elevations. Chair Balen noted that the building needs to be compatible with the surroundings. Commissioner Cutter noted that the application needs to provide additional information and that the City's application needs to be as complete as other applications submitted to the Commission.
Dan Lowe, Board of Directors of the Ocean Hills Homeowners Association, provided testimony stating that the main concern of the Homeowners Association relates back to the original pump station and that electrical components, i.e. for lighting, need to be considered.
Following deliberation, Commissioner Cutter moved to continue the public hearing until the August 24, 2004 Planning Commission meeting and request the applicant to provide additional information, i.e., at minimum, a topographic site plan and building elevation(s). Commissioner Perry seconded, and the motion carried on a voice vote.
7. (ADDITIONAL) CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Cory Comstock stated concerns about public safety on Waldport Heights Drive, noting that the additional development in this area was creating an increasingly unsafe condition on this narrow winding road.
8. DISCUSSION ITEMS:
A. Planning Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed the Planner's report. Commissioner Perry noted an abandoned vehicle on Delores Lane. Chair Balen revisited sign issues at the seafood deli at the south end of downtown on Highway 101 and noted an illegal sign for the Back East Antique store in the Highway 101 right-of-way.
B. Other Issues: Chair Balen stated that special Commission meetings need to be scheduled to continue review of the proposed Downtown Zoning District. Commissioner Cutter state he believes the Downtown District should include all commercial zoned areas. Chair Balen noted that Old Town and other commercial areas had a different character than the Highway 101 commercial corridor, and that separate studies and standards would apply to those other commercial areas. Commissioner Milligan expressed displeasure with the ‘no left turn' allowed on eastbound Hwy. 34 at Mill Street. Chair Balen recommended, and the Commission concurred, that an additional special Planning Commission meeting needs to be conducted over the next few months to complete review of the draft Downtown Zoning District ordinance. At the August 24, 2004 meeting, the Commission will schedule a special Planning Commission meeting to be held in September.
9. ADJOURNMENT: At (approximately) 8:00 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Meatzie moved to adjourn. Commissioner Cutter seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Respectfully submitted (as amended),
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 24th day of August, 2004.
SIGNED by the Chair this 24th day of August, 2004.
Samuel Balen, Chair