JANUARY 27, 2004
At 5:35 p.m. the Planning Commission convened
in a workshop setting. Present were: Chair Balen, Commissioners Cutter, Uhl and
Milligan, Councilors Church and Woodruff, City Administrator Leonard, City
Planner Lewis and City Clerk Quinlan. Chair Balen introduced Dale Jordan from
DLCD. Mr. Jordan proceeded to give an interesting and informative review of land
use planning in Oregon. At 6:28 p.m. the workshop session was adjourned.
1. Call to Order and Roll Call: At 6:40 p.m., Chair Balen called the Planning Commission meeting to order. Chair Balen and Commissioners Milligan, Cutter, Uhl and Cvar answered the roll. Commissioner Meatzie was absent. A quorum was present.
2. Citizen Comments and Concerns: None.
3. Commission Comments and Concerns: Commissioner Uhl cited a concern regarding the flea market, indicating he had several people asking about what can be done about the "maze" of tables and signs, especially on the weekends. Consensus of the Commission was that a letter needed to be written to tell vendors to move tables off sidewalk or leave sufficient room for pedestrian traffic on the sidewalk. Commissioner Cutter again noted the condition of the Crestline Drive area, where people are parking on the shoulder of the street, forcing kids and other pedestrians out into the street. His suggestion was that the City look at creating a "no parking" zone on one side of the street, or put in a raised sidewalk. Chair Balen mentioned that the Parks and Recreation Committee was working on developing a trail system from the park to the downtown area and improving parking facilities at the park. Commissioner Cutter stated that he would be attending the next Council meeting to air his concerns. Commissioner Cvar agreed with Commissioner Cutter regarding the conditions for traveling as a pedestrian, and also felt that signage was appropriate. Chair Balen noted receipt of a card announcing an upcoming meeting of the Economic Development Alliance of Lincoln County.
4. Consideration of Minutes: The Commission considered the minutes from the October 28, 2003 meeting. Commissioner Cvar moved to accept the minutes, and Commissioner Milligan seconded. Commissioner Cvar noted two scrivener's errors, and moved to accept the minutes as amended. Commissioner Uhl seconded, and the motion carried, with Chair Balen and Commissioners Milligan, Uhl and Cvar voting "Aye", Commissioner Cutter abstaining as he had not been present at the meeting. Commissioner Uhl then moved to accept the minutes of the December 9, 2003 meeting. Commissioner Milligan seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. Correspondence: The only correspondence was in conjunction with the Public Hearing.
6. Public Hearing - Case File 4-V-03, Nigel Cottier, Request for Variance: Chair Balen opened the Public Hearing, calling for abstentions, conflicts of interest, bias, and ex parte contact. Commissioner Cvar indicated that he had looked at the property in question and had viewed what appeared to be the staking off of the mobile home. Chair Balen noted a brief discussion with the City Planner regarding the request, but felt that there were no issues to preclude taking the case in hand.
Staff Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed the staff report. He indicated that the applicant had distributed additional materials to the Commission that evening. Also, subsequent to the staff report, two more letters of opposition had been received. From the audience, Mr. Sagaitis drew the Commission's attention to the clause in the public notice which stated that "Any documents or evidence submitted by the applicant after twenty (20) days prior to the hearing constitutes grounds for a continuance of the hearing if any party requests such a continuance", and requested such a continuance. Mr. Woodruff agreed. Chair Balen asked the Commission if they wished to continue the hearing. Mr. Cottier offered to withdraw the documents, and stated that he was willing to work with the evidence previously presented. Chair Balen stated that, in light of the language in the notice, the Commission could not disregard the evidence and would have to take action. Chair Balen then closed the Public Hearing and reopened the Planning Commission meeting. Commissioner Cutter moved to continue the hearing to February 24, 2004. Commissioner Milligan seconded, and the motion carried unanimously.
7. Discussion/Action Items:
A. Planning Reports: Mr. Lewis reviewed the planning reports for November and December. During this review, Commissioner Cvar absented himself from the meeting for a brief conversation with Mr. Cottier.
B. Other Issues: None.
8. Adjournment: At 7:25 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Cutter moved to adjourn. Commissioner Cvar seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 24th day of February, 2004.
SIGNED by the Chair this 24th day of February, 2004.
Samuel Balen, Chair