SEPTEMBER 24, 2002
1. CALL TO ORDER AND ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the
meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Chair Balen and Commissioners Milligan, Meatzie,
Hauser, Uhl, Cutter and Cvar answered the roll. A quorum was present.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Maggie Rivers, representing the Port of Alsea, addressed the Commission expressing the Port's appreciation of the Commission's denial of the skatepark location on John Street.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the August 27, 2002 meeting. Commissioner Cvar asked to amend the minutes for clarification. The amendments were duly noted. Commissioner Meatzie then moved to accept the minutes as amended, Commissioner Hauser seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: Chair Balen noted that the only correspondence in the packet was in regard to the findings of fact for the City's Conditional Use Permit.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: None.
7. OLD BUSINESS: None.
8. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Consideration of Findings of Fact: The Commission considered the Findings of Fact for Case File 5-C-02, City of Waldport. Commissioner Milligan moved to approve the findings of fact to deny the conditional use permit. Commissioner Cutter seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
B. Planner's Report: Mr. Lewis reviewed his planning report. In response to a query from Commissioner Cutter, Mr. Lewis indicated that he had written some letters regarding code violations. He noted that he had also spoken with Ms. Leonard regarding something more substantial than simply sending letters. Citing issues with abandoned autos, rubbish, abandoned buildings, overgrown yards and other nuisances, his thought was to single out some specific areas of the city for a stronger notification process, such as sending letters to all the residences. Chair Balen suggested an article in the paper indicating that the Planning Commission had concerns about these offenses. He offered to draft a letter for the Commission to review and revise at the next meeting. Consensus of the Commission was favorable. Commissioner Cutter also asked that Mr. Lewis include his efforts in code enforcement on his future reports.
Chair Balen noted in a recent visit to Newberg that it appeared all the signs in the newly developed areas appeared to be of a common size and height, placed in such a way that they were visible from the road and vehicles didn't block them. He suggested review of the sign ordinance to look at issues such as size and placement. Mr. Lewis agreed, noting that signage was one of the issues under review through the TGM process.
Chair Balen asked about the process for amending the code to remove the mixed commercial/residential uses. Staff explained that the Council would need to adopt an amending ordinance.
9. ADJOURNMENT: At 6:50 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Cutter moved to adjourn. Commissioner Hauser seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Waldport Planning Commission this 22nd day of October, 2002.
SIGNED by the Planning Commission Chair this 22nd day of October, 2002.
Sam Balen, Planning Commission Chair