MARCH 20, 2001
1. CALL TO ORDER:Chair Balen called the meeting to order at 6:35 p.m.
2. SWEARING IN OF NEW COMMISSIONERS: City Planner Thompson administered the oath of office to Carol Ann Milligan and C. Britton Meatzie. Commissioners Milligan and Meatzie then took their seats at the table.
3. ROLL CALL: Chair Balen and Commissioners Milligan, Hauser and Meatzie answered the roll. Commissioners Uhl and Cutter were absent. A quorum was present.
4. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Susan Woodruff addressed the Planning Commission in regard to participating in a tour of the City's water and sewer facilities. Commissioners Meatzie, Milligan and Hauser were interested. Ms. Woodruff noted she would speak with Mr. McClintock and get back to them with a time and day.
5. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Milligan indicated that she was having difficulty with being able to attend the Revitalization Committee meetings. She would continue on as best she could, but asked if someone else on the Commission would be interested in taking over the duties.
Chair Balen noted that the Revitalization Committee meetings were very interesting, with a lot of information which can benefit the City as a whole.
6. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the January 16 and February 20, 2001 meetings.Commissioner Milligan moved to approve the minutes as presented, Commissioner Meatzie seconded and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
7. PUBLIC HEARING: Upon request of staff, the Commission determined to postpone the Public Hearing and allow the SMART Development Presentation to proceed to accommodate the presenter.
8.OLD BUSINESS: None.
A. S.M.A.R.T. Development Presentation: Facilitator Rajiv Batra, from Urban Design Collaborative, addressed the Commission. In addition to the Commission, Councilors Church and Woodruff and Nancy Reynolds, Region 4 Coordinator for ODOT were present. Mr. Batra gave a slide show presentation of the principles and strategies involved in Smart Development.
Following a brief discussion regarding time constraints and desire for more detail, Commissioner Hauser moved to postpone the public hearing on Case File 1-C-01 to the April meeting and asked that more complete plans be provided to the Commission prior to the hearing. Commissioner Meatzie seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Discussion ensued regarding the ideas which had been presented by Mr. Batra and how they might apply to the City. Chair Balen asked that Mr. Batra provide the City with copies of the materials which he had brought in regard to development. Ms. Reynolds noted that there were funds available from TGM if the City was interested in applying, but there was a deadline. Mr. Batra suggested that the City contact TGM to indicate interest in the program, and noted that the purpose of the presentations was to show possibilities for use of funding and to encourage communities to apply. Chair Balen noted that the information was valuable, and would be taken to the Revitilization and Economic Development Committee for further discussion.
B. Directions for Conditions for Towing Business at 425 NE Cedar St.: Chair Balen noted that a subsequent letter indicated the problem had been taken care of.
C. Report of Downtown Revitalization Committee: No action.
D. Goalsetting - 2001: Deferred to the next Commission meeting.
E. Planning Reports - February 13 and March 16, 2001: No action was needed.
F. Census Data for Waldport from 2000 Census: No action was needed.
10. ADJOURNMENT: At 8:36 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Hauser moved to adjourn. Commissioner Meatzie seconded and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 17th day of April, 2001.
SIGNED by the Chair this 17th day of April, 2001.
Samuel Balen, Chair