JANUARY 16, 2001
1. ROLL CALL: Chair
Balen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Chair Balen and Commissioners
Cutter, Milligan, Hauser and Uhl answered the roll. Staff noted that
Commissioner Woodruff had verbally resigned at the City Council meeting on
January 4, 2001 in order to take a position on the City Council. A quorum was
present. Commissioner Uhl informed the Commission that he would be absent for
the next two months. Commissioner Milligan indicated she would be willing to
serve another term on the Commission, and staff mentioned that the two vacancies
were currently being advertised.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Uhl noted that he had attended the Lincoln County Economic Strategy Planning meeting the previous month. He had materials if any of the Commission was interested. A brief discussion ensued regarding the upcoming "Main Street" meeting in Yachats on the 31st of January. An individual representing "Main Street" will be attending the March 20 Planning Commission meeting to address the Commission in regards to specific recommendations for the City of Waldport.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the November, 21, 2000 meeting. Commissioner Milligan moved to approve the minutes as presented. Commissioner Uhl seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: The Commission considered a request for time extension on a variance for 943 Waziyata. Mr. Thompson noted that the Municipal Code stated that a variance was valid for a period of one year unless an extension was granted by the Planning Commission. Following a brief discussion, Commissioner Milligan moved to grant a one-year extension, Commissioner Cutter seconded and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: None.
7. OLD BUSINESS: Mr. Thompson reported that he had received a copy of a letter from the engineer for Mr. Parmelee. This was a letter to ODOT in regard to access to the property. Commissioner Milligan asked about an inquiry regarding a residence being turned into a business on Verbina Street, Mr. Thompson noted that he had done a change of occupancy for the building. Chair Balen noted the progress which had been made regarding the landscaping at the Post Office. He asked that the Planner send a letter on behalf of the Commission, congratulating them in their efforts.
8. NEW BUSINESS: Chair Balen asked that the items be considered in reverse order, as follows:
A. Planning Report - January 9, 2001: Mr. Thompson reviewed his written report and gave a brief update of the progress being made at the Industrial Park.
B. Goalsetting - 2001: Mr. Thompson noted that the expansion of the Urban Growth Boundary, the Riparian Zone Ordinance, and the revisions to the Development Code were all being held up because of Measure 7. Commissioner Cutter suggested that goalsetting might be considered following an interpretation of Measure 7. Consensus of the Commission was favorable. Following a brief discussion, the recommendation from the Planning Commission to the City Council was to move forward with the adoption of the riparian zone ordinance, the revisions to the development code, and the expansion of the urban growth boundary.
C. Review of Video Training Tape: The Commission reviewed a video tape regarding "Ethical Dilemmas in Planning". After three of the four episodes, consensus of the Commission was to finish the viewing/discussion at the next meeting.
Mr. Thompson introduced Mike Cerbone, the RARE participant. The Planning Commissioners each gave a brief synopsis of their experience and gave him a warm welcome. A short discussion ensued regarding the video tape which they had viewed and how recent planning decisions may have affected the community and individuals.
9. ADJOURNMENT: At 8:15 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Hauser moved to adjourn, Commissioner Uhl seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 20th day of March, 2001.
SIGNED by the Chair this 20th day of March, 2001.
Samuel Balen, Chair