AUGUST 21, 2001
1. ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the meeting to order at
6:30 p.m. Chair Balen and Commissioners Milligan, Meatzie, Uhl, Cutter and Cvar
answered the roll. Commissioner Hauser arrived at 6:35 p.m. A quorum was
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Cutter noted that, having just gone through the permit process, it might behoove the City to have generic plans on file for common items such as foundations, decks, garage slabs, etc. Chair Balen noted that even stock plans needed to be reviewed for setbacks and special conditions. Discussion ensued. Chair Balen mentioned there were many problems with the current inspection process as well. Commissioner Milligan noted that, at the last Economic Revitalization Committee meeting, they found out that the Waldport Urban Renewal Agency had authorized the placement of a fence around the Waldport Motel property. Commissioner Milligan reported that the Economic Revitalization Committee felt that this was an unfriendly-looking structure and asked that a letter be sent to the Urban Renewal Agency expressing their concern. A brief discussion ensued. Chair Balen made the following statement: "The Planning Commission finds it reprehensible that the Urban Renewal Committee took it upon themselves to stake out "The Lot" with institutional chain link fence, further disenchanting the City of Waldport and flying in the face of the activities and attempts of the Economic Development and Revitalization Committee to enhance our city and to enhance our economic base. The chain link fence does everything, it says everything, in opposition to that. Take it down!" The Commission thought that this statement should be forwarded to the City Council as well as placed verbatim in the minutes. Commissioner Cvar expressed a concern that this was outside the role of the Planning Commission. Following discussion, Commissioner Hauser moved to send a letter as stated by Chair Balen to the City Council, expressing their feelings about the aesthetics of the fence. Commissioner Milligan seconded. Commissioner Milligan proposed an amendment to the motion to include an investigation into the legality of the fence. Following a brief discussion, the amendment was not seconded. The motion carried, with Chair Balen and Commissioners Milligan, Meatzie, Uhl and Hauser voting "Aye", Commissioners Cvar and Cutter voting "Nay". Consensus of the Commission was to have the City Planner to research the legality of the fence and report back to the Commission prior to the next meeting.
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the minutes from the July 17, 2001 Planning Commission meeting. Commissioner Cutter moved to accept them as presented. Commissioner Cvar seconded. The motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: None.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: None.
7. OLD BUSINESS: None.
8. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Adoption of Findings for Case File #2-C-01, Lee Arce Development Co.: The Commission considered the findings for Case File #2-C-01. Chair Balen noted a typographical correction on page 3. Commissioner Meatzie moved to adopt the findings. Commissioner Milligan seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
B. Planning Report, July 13, 2001: City Planner Thompson reviewed his written report.
9. ADJOURNMENT: At 7:27 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Hauser moved to adjourn, Commissioner Cutter seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 16th day of October, 2001.
SIGNED by the Chair this 16th day of October, 2001.
Samuel Balen, Chair