SEPTEMBER 19, 2000
1. CALL TO ORDER AND
ROLL CALL: Chair Balen called the meeting to order at 6:30 p.m. Chair Balen and
Commissioners Milligan, Hauser, Uhl and Woodruff answered the roll. A quorum was
City Planner Thompson administered the oath of office to Dann Cutter. Commissioner Cutter then took his seat.
2. CITIZEN COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: None.
3. COMMISSION COMMENTS AND CONCERNS: Commissioner Balen indicated he had been thinking about the Waldport Motel property and one suggestion he had come up with was a combination library/visual/fine arts center. Discussion ensued regarding possible uses for the property. Staff noted that a public hearing would be held on October 26 by the Urban Renewal Agency regarding the possible uses of the property. Commissioner Balen asked that the Commissioners consider the topic and let him know their thoughts. He would then draft a document to be presented to the Council.
brief discussion also ensued regarding
4. MINUTES: The Commission considered the July 18 and July 25, 2000 meeting minutes. Commissioner Uhl moved to approve the minutes of July 18 as presented, Commissioner Milligan seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote. Commissioner Woodruff moved to approve the minutes from the July 25 meeting, Commissioner Uhl seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
5. CORRESPONDENCE: The Commission considered the following items of correspondence: a letter from the State of Oregon re Wetland Determination, and a letter from the State of Oregon re Fish and Wildlife resources. Mr. Thompson indicated that both items had been provided to the Commission as informational items for the upcoming continuation of the public hearing being held before the Council in regards to the Urban Growth Boundary expansion, the Natural Resources Overlay zone and the proposed changes to the Development Code.
6. PUBLIC HEARING: None.
7. OLD BUSINESS: None.
8. NEW BUSINESS:
A. Review of Waldport Comprehensive Plan's Estuary Plan: Mr. Thompson explained that the Commission needed to review this document as part of the Periodic Review process. The City did not have complete control of the Estuary plan but would work with the County to look at possible recommendations and revisions to the plan. He noted one of his concerns was in regards to the definition of "natural" in application to the area from the mouth of the Alsea along Bayshore. Discussion ensued. Maggie Rivers from the Port of Alsea addressed the Commission, thanking them for taking the time to review the document. She gave a brief presentation in regards to the oyster-farming efforts which have been taking place over the past five years. Ms. Rivers explained that water quality testing has proven that the safe area for aquaculture was in Management Unit 5. She explained, as an example of the importance of the matrices, that the recent installation of the crabbing dock had been originally proposed for Management Unit 3, but the City Planner at the time had determined that this was not a permitted use in that unit, as it was designated as a natural unit. The Port therefore installed the dock in Management Unit 6 instead, which was a conservation unit. A brief discussion ensued regarding the shellfish study and proposed oysterfarming project. Mr. Thompson noted the Management areas 1, 2, 3, 4, 6 and 7 are the areas within and adjacent to the current City boundary and are the ones which the Commission should review. He suggested that the Commission review the document and note any concerns and suggestions, then place the issue on the agenda for the next meeting. The revisions would then be presented to the County for review.
B. Planning Reports: Mr. Thompson reviewed the Planning Reports from August 10 and September 15, 2000.
9. ADJOURNMENT: At 8:03 p.m., there being no further business to come before the Commission, Commissioner Hauser moved to adjourn, Commissioner Cutter seconded, and the motion carried unanimously on a voice vote.
Respectfully submitted (as amended),
Reda A. Quinlan, City Clerk
APPROVED by the Planning Commission this 17th day of October, 2000.
SIGNED by the Chair this 17th day of October, 2000.
Samuel Balen, Chair